This boxing day breakfast strata will be the best thing about your Christmas. Sharp cheddar, tender turkey, tangy cranberry all snuggled into an eggy custard.
This post is in partnership with Thermapen ♥
I know. You’re going to have a mountain of turkey left over from Christmas and you’re already wondering what you’re going to do with it all. You’ve got soup, pot pie and all manner of casseroles on the list. But really, you should be thinking something even easier and more make ahead.
Enter the breakfast strata.
Boxing Day Breakfast Strata
Like this recipe? Pin it to your Breakfast pinboard!
Follow Salted Mint on Pinterest
So, what is a breakfast strata?
A breakfast strata is a savoury bread pudding that involves
- bread baked with cheese= good
- leftovers= less food waste= good
- eggy slightly cinnamony custart= sooo good
- The breakfast that you put together Christmas night while you’re packing away all the leftovers, and bake in the morning with no fussing whatsoever!
How long do you cook a strata?
This is one of the most popular questions that I get. The absolute best way to decide how long to cook a breakfast strata is to use a Thermapen Professional thermometer to check the internal temperature. The instant-read display means that you’ll know in 3 seconds how hot your strata is. No more overcooking!
You want a temperature of at least 74ºC (165ºF) to ensure that the egg is cooked. It’s not just about safety and making sure you don’t serve raw eggs, but it’s so much about the texture of the eggs. Think more silky custard and less scrambled eggs.
And let me just tell you my favourite thing about the Thermapen Professional… It has a motion sensing sleep/wake feature. That means as soon as you pick up the thermometer it’s ready to use. No more trying to balance hot dishes in one hand and trying to find the “on” button with the other. It goes to sleep when you don’t touch and is ready for action as soon as you need it!
All you need to do to put this Boxing Day Breakfast Strata together is layer get any oven safe dish you’ve got. Put a layer of cubed bread in the bottom of the dish. Add in some leftover turkey. Layer up with some stuffing then cranberry sauce and some cheese. Repeat the process one more time, then pour over the custard. Top with one last layer of cheese so it goes all lovely and golden.
To serve it I make some crispy sage leaves and put a generous dollop of cranberry sauce over the whole affair. This dish is perfect popped down in the middle of the breakfast table surrounded by family friends and leftover Christmas decorations!
Need more ideas for turkey leftovers? Check out these recipes.
- Italian Turkey Noodle Soup
- Turkey Mushroom Pie with Herb Biscuits
- Turkey & Goat’s Cheese Crunch Wraps
Tools used to make this Recipe Name
Boxing Day Breakfast Strata
- For the Custard
- 2 eggs
- 250 ml milk
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- For the Strata
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 200 g cubed bread
- 200 g leftover turkey
- 200 g leftover sausage stuffing
- 100 ml cranberry sauce
- 200 g cheddar shredded
- Crispy sage leaves optional
- Mix the custard ingredients and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 180ºc. Grease the dish with the butter.
- Place half the bread cubes in the bottom of the dish and layer with half the turkey followed by
- the sausage stuffing cranberry sauce and cheese.
- Repeat this process once more.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 30 minutes until the Thermapen Professional reaches at least 74ºc.
- Top with some cranberry sauce and crispy sage leaves if using and place in the centre of the table to serve.
*Include any text backlinks with image here*
THANKS SO MUCH FOR READING AND COOKING ALONG WITH ME! IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE OR HAVE A QUESTION, I’D LOVE IT IF YOU LEFT A COMMENT AND A RATING. YOU CAN ALSO FOLLOW ALONG ON PINTEREST, FACEBOOK AND INSTAGRAM TO SEE WHAT WE’RE EATING, PINNING AND A LITTLE BEHIND THE SCENES TOO!