Big steaming bowls of Green Goddess Wellness soup for everyone!
I’ve been thinking about health and wellness a lot lately. Maybe it’s the new year kinda thing. Tell me, have you been more conscious of what you eat lately? Whether you have, or you haven’t, there’s no denying that eating a bowl of this green goddess soup is exactly what your doctor would order. It’s full of the greens of life. Broccoli, peas, cavolo nero, parsley, some fresh red chillies- seeds in if you please, and everyone’s favourite wonder spice: turmeric.
I’ll admit the colour is a little shocking, but the flavour in this soup is absolutely stunning. I’m not just saying that to get you to eat green soup. Seriously.
It’s the kind of soup that may have made me sceptical a few years back. But, as I think more about health and what we eat and how it all has to do with how we feel mentally and emotionally, my food has become a lot more holistic and mindful of nutrition. But, it wasn’t always easy. I was trained at culinary school in a very classical French way, where fat=flavour… literally. Brioche with fois gras was a common sort of dish.
But food moves and evolves and it advances with the people who consume it and grow it. Because, as we all become more mindful of what we eat, food will truly become out medicine. And if that’s the case, this is the most delicious medicine you’re gonna eat all winter. Promise.
Green Goddess Wellness Soup Bowls
This green goddess wellness soup is the best way to get all your greens. This quick and simple delicious soup is all your health goals in a bowl.
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 medium onions chopped
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 3 small new potatoes chopped
- 1 in red chilli sliced half seeds removed if you want it less spicy
- piece thumb size of ginger diced
- 1 head of broccoli cut into florets
- 2 handfuls frozen peas
- 2 in celery stalks cut half
- 10 leaves large of cavolo nero* stems removed
- 1 small bunch parsley
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 750 ml vegetable stock
- juice of one lemon divided
- 30 g yogurt
- handful of mixed seeds optional
- In a large sauce pan heat the olive oil over a medium heat. Add the onion and the garlic and season with salt and pepper. Cook until the onion is soft and translucent, but not colouring.
- Add the diced potato and the ginger and cook for another 2 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add the broccoli and the vegetable stock. Cook for about 10 minutes until the potatoes and broccoli are cooked but not losing colour. Add the cavolo nero, peas and parsley and blanch for a further 2 minutes or until the cavolo nero has wilted.
- Add the turmeric and cayenne pepper.
- Blitz the soup in a blender or use a hand blender.
- Squeeze in the juice of half a lemon and adjust the seasoning. Serve with seeded crackers and lemon yogurt sauce and mixed seeds.
- Recipe Notes
- *Cavolo nero is a very dark green Italian style kale. If it’s unavailable, spinach or regular kale will work fine.