Healthy Asian Lettuce wraps and I are having a moment right now. These Asian lettuce wraps are protein packed and are the perfect mid week dinner.
These wraps are made with turkey rather than ground beef or pork. Although you could just as easily go with chicken instead of the turkey. Really the protein is up to you. This sticky sweet and spicy sauce is the real star of the show. The protein is meant to be exactly that. A protein. It's not meant to be the the main event, but rather it's supposed to be part of an ensemble of flavours.
Whatever the case, making this little dinner is kinda like having appetisers and party food for dinner. It all comes together in 15 minutes, because… Hi… Tuesday night! So, when you rush home from work to do all those boss girl things you gotta do, these will be the best part of your night. And some cool and fresh ginger beer to accompany these wraps is also a really good idea. The beer completely balances the spiciness of the sauce.
In those colourful purple and green lettuce wraps, you’ve got spicy, sauce-y, seared turkey topped with the obvious flavour boosters like coriander, or cilantro, whatever you call it, you’re gonna need it! Lime wedges and cashews top the whole thing off.
And yes, you do spy some rice noodles at the bottom of those wraps, because we all love some gluten free carbs. If you are trying to stay carb free, then skip the rice noodles. If you skip the noodles, just be sure that you have extra protein, otherwise you will get hungry, quickly. These wraps are perfect as a nice light dinner, or even as a snack. These healthy Asian lettuce wraps will still be just as awesome!
3 Reasons to make Healthy Asian Lettuce Wraps
- They only take 15 minutes from beginning to end.
- These wraps are protein packed.
- These Asian wraps are the perfect balance of tangy sauce, crunchy nuts and nourishing rice noodles.
Healthy Asian Lettuce Wraps
- 500 g ground turkey
- 1 teaspoon Chinese 5 spice
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon Peanut butter smooth
- 2 tablespoon soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon hoisin
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha chilli sauce
- 2 cups heads of baby gem lettuce. Taken down to the leaf so you have little lettuce .
- squeeze of lime juice to taste
- 25 g rice noodles
- In a medium frying pan over a medium heat add the sesame oil.
- Add the turkey and the five spice and sauté until cooked and slightly golden.
- Meanwhile in a medium bowl mix the remaining ingredients except the lettuce.
- I don’t add any extra salt to the sauce as it’s usually perfectly seasoned due to the soy and peanut butter.
- Whisk until smooth. Taste and adjust to your taste. Like more hoisin or more soy, or spice etc.
- Pour half of the sauce to the turkey and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Fill the lettuce cups with the turkey mix.
- Drizzle with the rest of the sauce and top with some crushed peanuts, chopped spring onions and some red chillies if you like super spicy.
- Sriracha Available in the world foods section of most grocery stores
Leave a Reply