Are you all ready to step up your breakfast game? Healthy breakfast egg cups. Sunny yolked eggs baked into a mushroom cap with savoury prosciutto. These only take about 12 minutes to make and are elegant enough for brunch.
No. I mean like we really need to step it up. ‘Cause we got baked eggs happening over here. But not just any baked eggs. We’ve got healthy breakfast egg cups baked in portabello mushrooms! If you’re thinking “sweet sweet Lord, that looks and sounds amazing” you’re right. Clearly, our brunch game is on point today! High five! ?? However, when I took the photos, I did think that these looked fancy enough to serve at a dinner party, and make you look like you dominate the kitchen domain, but all the while being a calm, cool, collected kitchen goddess. Because I know you. That’s who you are. We got the kitchen situation handled like that, ya know?
I came to think of these as a fancier, more grown up version of a full English breakfast. Not that anyone would confuse me with being fancy and grown up. We’re just kids at heart ’round our house!
Sometimes, I get these ideas in my head for dishes that I think about for weeks until I make. The ideas just will not leave me alone. They incarnate in my head over and over. Ingredients are mentally added and subtracted like a football game play by play and by the time they get made and photographed for you, well… they turn out nothing like they were originally intended.
3 Different ways to make Healthy Breakfast Egg Cups
- These can be made with beetroot and goat’s cheese.
- They can be made with asparagus and prosciutto.
- These healthy breakfast egg cups can be made with artichokes and sundried tomato.
So, these breakfast egg cups could be custom built a million different ways. What I was thinking was that these would be so good with some asparagus and some thyme and an egg. And that’s true. They would be. You should do that and let me know how awesome they are. Then there was the mediterranean version, with sundried tomatoes and marinated artichokes, or what about going with some roasted beetroot and some thyme and goat’s cheese. Maybe we could do a sweet and sassy little drizzle of honey? See? Limitless!
But what I settled on for these breakfast egg cups was prosciutto and eggs with some garlic and thyme. It is such a classic spring combo. I should have also told you that these only take 15 minutes to put together.
So breakfast domination is yours Girlfriend! You Got this!
Healthy Breakfast Egg Cups
- 2 portobello mushrooms , stems removed
- 2 cloves garlic , minced or grated on a microplane
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 eggs
- 2 slices prosciutto
- 3 Tbsp gruyere cheese
- 6 sprigs thyme
- drizzle of balsamic (optional, but so worth it)
- Preheat the oven to 180c or 350f
- Hollow out the stems of the mushrooms and sprinkle with some salt and pepper.
- Place the mushrooms on a baking tray in the oven for 5 minutes to soften and withdraw some moisture. See Notes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix the garlic with the olive oil and the leaves from 3 thyme sprigs.
- Once the water is drained off the mushrooms, drizzle with the garlic oil.
- Place a rasher of prosciutto along the side of the mushrooms and add the egg. Depending on the size of your mushroom, you may not need all your egg. If your eggs are large, hold back some of the egg white.
- Sprinkle with the remaining thyme leaves and the cheese and bake for another 6 minutes, or until your eggs are cooked how you like them and the cheese is melted.
- Serve with a drizzle of balsamic vinegar.