This 20 minute roasted tomato soup is only 4 ingredients and uses summer’s late harvest tomatoes. A thick juicy tomato soup bursting with thyme and a drizzle of honey.
Summer is not the time I usually think about soup, but when you’ve got a fridge full of summer tomatoes that are a bit past their prime, then maybe you need to start thinking soup. It’s one of those dilemmas. You get to the farmer’s market, you buy waaaayyyy too much of everything, but then quickly realise that you don’t have the appetite to actually eat it all before tomatoes get wrinkly skin and the zucchini starts to go a bit soft.
But being the simple cooking types that we are, looking to simply roast some tomatoes and blend… well… we go lean on the ingredients. There’s 4. Can you handle that?
- tomatoes… duh
- red onion
- a drizzle of golden local honey
Okay. We’ve also got olive oil, salt and pepper… but I can have those for free right. Cuz you probably already got ’em sitting in your store cupboard at home, right?
Then when you roast them, let the edges of those onions go a bit dark and crispy on the edges and you’ve got yourself a fabulous simple summer soup. The beauty of this soup is that it doesn’t have to be served hot. It’s not quite a gazpacho style soup, although you could serve it that way if you wanted to. But in reality, this soup is perfect when it’s just above room temperature. If it’s any hotter, you tend to lose the flavour of the thyme and the honey.
And that’s it. That’s all I got today. But when the tomatoes are this sweet and juicy, you don’t need anything else.
Late Harvest 4 Ingredient Roasted Tomato Soup
- 2 lb 1kg heirloom tomatoes
- 1 red onion thinly sliced
- 4 springs thyme leaves
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180c (350f).
- Chop the tomatoes into rough chunks and tip into a roasting tray.
- Add the thinly sliced onion, and drizzle with the olive oil, thyme and salt and pepper.
- Roast in the oven for about 20 minutes, or until the onions and tomatoes have started to colour around the edges.
- Blend while the tomatoes are still warm.
- Serve with cheesy toast.
- Makes 2 servings.