This chicken and pomegranate chicken sheet pan dinner is the perfect sweet and sour chicken with a twist. Low fat and simple to make in 30 minutes. The simple maintenance free recipes are my life.
Enter the sheet pan dinner. If you spend about 2.3 seconds a month on Pinterest you will have seen these everywhere for the last few months. So why am I so late to jump on the band wagon? Well... I dunno really. But, I suppose, all that matters right now is that we have caught that train and we are well and truly on our way to sheet pan dinner greatness.
This suits me just perfect, as I love a simple tasty dinner that does not require fussing or mussing. I spend so much of my day dressing plates with precision and cutting vegetables and brownies alike with a ruler just to be sure that they are all exactly the same size. So when I get home I just wanna think about flavour, colour, texture and temperature. My home kitchen is a ruler free zone. I don't really care if one carrot stick is bigger than the other.
But let's talk about this trusty sheet pan dinner number. It's hugely got an Asian kinda feel. I've used chicken thighs as I find they cook quicker, they're tastier and they are cheaper at the grocery store. All of these qualities make chicken thighs the perfect star of our show. All that happens to them is some five spice. A house favourite over here. Then once the chicken is almost cooked you drizzle on some of that gorgeous sticky, sweet pomegranate molasses. Okay. So I gotta admit you do need two pans for this recipe, but it is more than worth it! One pan for the rice and one pan for the chicken, but both pans will require almost no attention from you once they're on.
This dish really benefits from the wild rice mix. It just kinda elevates the dish to something a little more special. And the beauty is, it takes no more time than any other kind of rice. It's a 20 minute wonder, ladies and gents. So now that I've created one sheet pan recipe I may have to make these for us lots. They are so amazingly simple and delicious. They are even fancy enough for entertaining!
Pomegranate Chicken and Wild Rice Sheet Pan Dinner
- 600 g Chicken Thighs
- 2 tablespoon five spice
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoon fennel seeds
- 400 g plums chopped
- 100 g pistachios
- pomegranate arils
- 2 tablespoon pomegranate molasses
For the rice
- 200 g white and wild rice mix
- 200 ml water
- 3 leaves bay
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 6 black peppercorns
- Pre-heat oven to 200c.
- Rub the olive oil into the chicken and coat with the five spice and the fennel seeds.
- Place the chicken in a roasting pan or on a tray with the garlic and roast for about 30 minutes or until
- Halve and stone the plums. Cut them into quarters and put them into a bowl.
- In the last few minutes of cooking the chicken, place the plums in the roasting tray and drizzle with the
- pomegranate molasses.
- For the rice add all the ingredients to a pan and simmer covered on low heat for 20 minutes. Discard the
- cinnamon stick and fluff the rice with a fork.
- Once the chicken is cooked remove it to a cutting board and place the rice in the roasting tray.
- Place the chicken on top of the rice and dress with the pistachios and pomegranate arils.
Leave a Reply