Protein-packed roasted carrot hummus is the creamiest, fun twist on regular hummus. It's super simple, packed with protein and a creamy dreamy snack time dip or sauce to have on your fave foods. A perfect addition to any sandwich, wrap or crudité platter.
There's no secret that I'm a bit (a lot snack-obsessed) but when it comes to snacking how do you make sure that you've got healthy options rather than grabbing a bag of chips or a bar of chocolate? Well, you make sure that you've got a killer meal plan set up and you plan ahead.
Hint: to meal plan like a pro you can download the Salted Mint meal planner and be a total boss in the kitchen. Just sayin'!
Okay, but back to the creamiest roasted carrot hummus you're ever gonna eat. Because we don't do chunky hummus 'round here. And before you even ask... no, I will not tell you to pop the skins off the chickpeas because ain't no one got time for that business... because life and stuff right?!
How to make super creamy carrot hummus
So you wanna know the secret to the creamiest (no pop) protein packed roasted carrot hummus... hot water! Yep. That's it. Or you can microwave those chickpeas to get them warm. I don't have a microwave so that's not my method, but if you have a microwave then go for it.
But hot water is the ace up your sleeve. You see anything being blended and broken down will blend more smoothly when it's hot. Adding the carrots when they are hot, right out of the oven will help a lot too.
*super kitchen tip: this works for everything. Soups, purees, whatever you need to get smooth and creamy... start out with it hot!
Top tips for making this Moroccan inspired creamy carrot hummus
- Roast the carrots until they're golden around the edges and soft, but not mushy.
- Ensure that the carrots and the water are hot when you blend. (You can heat the chickpeas too, but you don't have to)
- Use a blender instead of a food processor, if you have one. If you only have a food processor, no probs, you'll just have to blend longer. (your hummus may not get quite as smooth, but it'll be awesome)
- Add the water and the olive oil in a steady stream to help emulsify the hummus, rather than just pouring them in.
- Enjoy your healthy and super protein rich roasted carrot hummus.
I'm kinda obsessed with Moroccan spicing and flavours right now so I used cumin seeds and a hint of cinnamon, but you can totally use coriander seeds (carrots and coriander are a match made in heaven) or you can just use salt and pepper. But please what ever you do, make sure that this makes it into your healthy snack rotation this fall!
Roasted Carrot Hummus
- 3 medium carrots peeled and cut into sticks
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- ½ tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tin chickpeas
- 2 tablespoon tahini
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 lemon juice and zest
- 60 ml ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- water to reach desired consistency
- Preheat the oven to 175c
- Toss the carrot sticks with the cumin seeds and olive oil and roast in the oven for about 20 minutes or until the carrots are cooked and golden.
- Place the hot roasted carrots and the chickpeas in a blender and add the tahini and garlic cloves.
- Blend on medium to break down the chickpeas and carrots.
- Slowly trickle in the olive oil and the lemon juice.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Trickle in hot water until you have the desired consistency.
- Makes about 2 cups.
Leave a Reply