This rustic salad pizza is a dream of farmer’s market fruit and leaves piled onto a soft and fluffy pizza base with a crispy bottom and the sweetest and tangiest onion jam to bring the whole thing together. And it’s all topped with creamy buffalo mozzarella.
So, what on earth is salad pizza anyway? Great question!
It doesn’t seem like there’s a definitive answer, so I’ve made my own rules here.
For this salad pizza imagine that you’re at a farmer’s market in the Italian countryside. You pick up some ripe juicy peaches, some smokey chargrilled artichokes, and some salty prosciutto.
Add to that some crunchy peppery leaves, some sweet and tangy onion jam and the creamiest fresh mozzarella. That my friends is a salad pizza.
Are you in?
This pizza is like finding the best of the farmer’s market and using a soft fluffy pizza base with a chewy and crispy bottom to bring all that goodness to your face. We’re talking Napolese style pizza crust. This article talks about the different types of pizzas throughout Italy and it’s beautiful!
This pizza is far too big and bold for a crispy thin crust. No. We’re going voluptuous and substantial for this one. Keep your thin crust business for another day. My perfect pizza dough recipe is right here!
So how do you know what pizza base to use for salad pizza?
Well, it depends on your topping situation and personal preference. My personal style is for a soft, chewy base. I’m a Napolese girl at heart! But if my toppings are on the lean side I go for a thin crispy crust. A crust so crisp it’s like biscotti. And yep.. if you don’t have a wood-fired oven in your backyard (we all wish!), you’ll need a pizza stone. But, they’re cheap and can be used for more than just pizza.
What toppings go on a salad pizza?
This is a totally customizable situation because we’re riding the farmer’s market wave of availability. But some options are…
… And the list goes on.
Grab your farmer’s market tote… we’ve got pizza to make!
Thanks so much for reading and cooking along with me! If you make these bars or have a question, I’d love it if you left a comment and a rating. You can also follow along on Pinterest, Facebook and Instagram to see what we’re eating, pinning and a little behind the scenes too!
Rustic Napolese Salad Pizza
- 1/2 quantity of Easy Italian Pizza Dough
- 1/4 cup onion jam
- 2 peaches thinly sliced
- 6 chargrilled marinated artichokes
- 6 slices prosciutto
- 10 sprigs lemon thyme leaves picked
- 1 ball buffalo mozzarella
- 1 bunch basil
- 2 cups mixed salad leaves
- 2 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Preheat the oven with a pizza stone to 400f
- Make pizza dough according to recipe. Split dough and freeze 1/2 for later.
- Roll or press the dough into a circle about 1/4 inch thick. Leave a 1/4 inch border around the edge that you don’t press down. This forms the lovely fluffy crust.
- Spread the onion jam over the centre of the base, leaving the crust bare. Top the pizza with the thinly sliced peaches, marinated artichokes, prosciutto, thyme leaves and mozzarella.
- Bake the pizza for about 15 minutes, until the crust is golden, fluffy and crispy on the bottom. Top with the fresh basil leaves and any salad leaves you have.
- Drizzle with balsamic vinegar and serve.