These strawberry muffins are packed with juicy fruit and topped with brown sugar crumble for extra crunch. They make the perfect treat for a special brunch or breakfast. Made with buttermilk, they have a light fluffy texture and a delicate fruit-filled flavor.
This basic muffin recipe has been my go-to for years. It starts with buttermilk, as all good muffin recipes do. Why buttermilk? It helps to keep the crumb of the muffin tender. The acid in the buttermilk reacts with the flour to help keep everything moist and fluffy.
You can use regular milk, but you can also make your own buttermilk. Which I highly suggest.
To make buttermilk for strawberry muffins
- Pour the milk into a measuring jug and add 1 tablespoon of white wine vinegar per 1 cup of milk.
- Let the mixture sit at room temperature for 1 hour.
- Mix the homemade buttermilk with a spoon and use as directed in your recipe.
You would think that my favorite part of these strawberry muffins would be strawberries. And you'd mostly be right. But that brown sugar crumble topping has me wanting to eat all these muffins in one sitting.
When making these strawberry muffins there are a few adaptations we can make to keep them fresh and fun.
Strawberry Muffin Adaptations
- Substitute ½ whole wheat flour for the white flour
- Use any kind of fruit available- blueberries, peaches, apples, raspberries... whatever your heart desires. PS you can also use frozen fruit. Just make sure it's still frozen when you add the fruit to the muffin mix.
- For the crumble topping, you can use whichever nuts you prefer or you can skip them altogether. But may I suggest pecans and walnuts as strong options.
But while it's strawberry season, let's make sure that we are eating batches of these muffins all summer long!
THANKS SO MUCH FOR READING AND COOKING ALONG WITH ME! IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE OR HAVE A QUESTION, I’D LOVE IT IF YOU LEFT A COMMENT AND A RATING. YOU CAN ALSO FOLLOW ALONG ON PINTEREST, FACEBOOK AND INSTAGRAM TO SEE WHAT WE’RE EATING, PINNING AND A LITTLE BEHIND THE SCENES TOO!
Strawberry Rhubarb Scruffins
- 175 g sugar
- 250 g strawberry chopped
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 125 ml buttermilk
- 200 g plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- pinch of salt
For the crumble
- 50 g butter
- 50 g light brown sugar
- 50 g flour
- 25 g oats
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon pistachios
- ¼ cup Icing sugar sifted
- 1 tablespoon water
- Pre-heat the oven to 350f. Line a muffin tin with 9 paper cases.
- Mix the strawberries with the sugar and vanilla. Set aside. The sugar will start to pull the juices from the strawberry. This is fine to add to the mix.
- In one bowl mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In a measuring jug, mix the buttermilk, vegetable oil and the egg and whisk. Add the buttermilk mixture to the flour mixture then add the fruit and fold in gently.
To make the crumble topping, rub the butter into the dry ingredients until pea sized.
- Scoop the batter into the muffin tins and top generously with the crumble topping. Bake in the oven for about 15 minutes until the muffins are golden and bounce back when pressed lightly with your finger. The muffins are cooked when a pick comes out with a few crumbs still on it.
Leave a Reply