12 Smart Points | 336 Calories
Super easy 30 minute zucchini pizza boats are the perfect weeknight shortcut. Lots of veggies and cheese, but completely grain free.
So here’s the confession. I thought when I joined Weight Watchers, recipes like these zucchini pizza boats would be part of my past life. Like you could draw a line under it and have the pre and the post WW life. Truly convinced that it was almost impossible to get amazing, delicious, nutritious recipes that would be low on the calorie/fat front and high on the taste and fun factor. And by thinking impossible I mean I could have cried at the idea of doing this thing! But my health and my waistline were merciless in their demands. All I could do was submit. It’s been two weeks now and I’ve never felt more in control of dinner time and what I eat. So whatdya do when you’re new to the WW gig and have to get dinner on the table? Well you make pizza… obvs.
Let’s break it down here, shall we? I’ve always been a huge lover of pizza. The kind of pizza that has golden, bubbling cheese, a rich tomato sauce and just enough spice to keep me on my toes. Notice though, the crust doesn’t even factor into those first qualities of a truly standout pizza.
Because when you stare longingly at that golden cheese do you even care about the crust. No, friends! No you don’t. Is it possible that the crust is simply the vehicle to get the toppings from the plate into your mouth? Well my friends, I believe that that’s exactly the case.
These zucchini pizza boats are the perfect dinner. Minimal ingredients, they take about 30 minutes to make and everyone will love them. Sneaking veggies into the kids… ummm, yeah. Because when presented with that golden cheese, those green ribbons of basil and the richest tomato sauce, no one is gonna care that it all happens to be served on a zucchini rather than a crust. Lighter, dinners that are fast and fresh. It’s the new do ’round here.
Super Easy zucchini Pizza Boats
Super Easy zucchini Pizza Boats are a quick and low carb option for pizza night. They take 30 minutes and will hit your pizza craving guilt free.
- 2 medium zucchinis
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 red onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 x 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 2 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 100 g skim milk mozzarella
- 40 g chorizo sausage
- Pre-heat the oven to 180c.
- Split the zucchini’s in half lengthways and scoop out the seeds.
- In a skillet over a medium heat fry the chorizo sausage until crispy and the fat renders out of it. About 3 minutes.
- Scoop the sausage into a bowl and drain the fat from the pan.
- Return to the heat and add the onion and garlic and cook until they’re sweet and tender. About 4 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, basil and oregano to the pan. Bring the sauce up to the boil and let simmer for about 3 minutes or until you have a nice thick sauce.
- Divide the sauce between the 4 zucchini boats and top with the cheese and chorizo.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for about 15 minutes. Until the cheese is golden and bubbling.
- Serves 2