Smoky Vegetarian Black Bean Chilli
This really is the perfect smoky black bean chili. It's a quick and easy vegetarian weeknight dinner, that's so full of smoky chipotle flavor and naturally gluten-free.
Servings 6 Servings
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large red onion finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 jar roasted red peppers packed in brine drained
- 2 teaspoons chipotle paste
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 2 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes fire roasted if available
- 1 x 400g tin red kidney beans rinsed
- 1 x 400g tin black beans rinsed
Heat the olive oil in a large heavy based sauce pan over medium heat. Sweat the onions and garlic in the oil until soft and translucent, about 10 minutes. Drain the roasted red peppers and chop roughly. Add to the onions and garlic and continue to cook for a further 5 minutes.
Add the chipotle paste and all the ground herbs and spices. Mix well and keep over the heat until the spices are fragrant and toasty. Add the apple juice, tomatoes and 1 cup of water. Bring to a boil and turn down to a simmer and let cook for 30 minutes. Add the kidney beans and black beans and stir well.
Serve with rice, avocado, limes, cheese, sour cream and tortilla chips.