One Pot Pasta With Peas and Bacon
This one-pot pasta is an easy and healthy pasta dinner that you can get on the table in less than 30 minutes! It's creamy, hearty and filled with all the flavors of the perfect dinner.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
Servings 4 Servings
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 7 ounces bacon chopped
- 1 large onion diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 pound dried spaghetti
- 1 cup frozen peas
- juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 1 bunch mint chopped
Cook the bacon in the pan over medium heat. Once it's browned and crispy, set it aside on a paper towel to drain and pour half the bacon fat away and leave the rest in the pan. Sweat the onions and garlic in the bacon fat. Set them aside in a small bowl. *See Note 1
Add the milk and the chicken broth to the pan and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and add the dry pasta and let simmer away until the pasta is cooked. This should take about 15-20 minutes. *See Note 2
At the very end of cooking that pasta, add the frozen peas and let them heat up. There is absolutely no need to defrost them. They'll take about a minute to get hot. Add the lemon juice and zest, some chopped mint and top with the bacon. *See Note 3
- Set aside the onions and garlic so that they don't absorb all the pasta water while the pasta cooks.
- I don't have my liquids at a full boil, as it reduces too quickly that way and you'd need to add more water diluting your sauce. A gentle simmer is perfect here.
- No need to defrost the peas here. They only take seconds to heat up when they're snuggled into the pasta.