Easy Chickpea Pumpkin Curry
This Chickpea Coconut Curry is the perfect mix of cozy and healthy. A quick and easy sauce swirled with coconut milk and simmered with roasted pumpkin and chickpeas.
- 1 butternut squash peeled and cubed into 1 inch dice
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil
- 1 small red onion thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic grated
- 3 cm piece of ginger grated
- Spice Mix
- 2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1 bunch cilantro stalks
- 1 tin chickpeas drained
- 2 cups kalettes or spinach
- 400 ml full fat coconut milk
- 300 ml vegetable broth
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon chilli flakes
- 1/4 cup toasted flaked almonds
Preheat the oven to 350ºF or 180ºC
Season the squash with salt and pepper and roast in the oven on a non-stick baking tray until tender and golden. About 20 minutes.
In a medium sauce pan melt the coconut oil and add the onion, garlic, ginger and fennel and cumin seeds.
Sauté until the onion is soft, then add the spices and the cilantro stalks. Add the vegetable broth, and coconut milk. Bring to a simmer and gently reduce for 20 minutes.
Add the chickpeas, roasted pumpkin and kalettes. Gently simmer for 10 minutes until the chickpeas are hot and the kalettes are cooked.
Steamed rice and naan bread to serve.