This smokey Moroccan 3 bean stew is hearty and warming. A protein packed vegan bowl of tomatoes, spices and beans brought together with spicy and rosy Harissa sauce. It’s a 15 minute vegan dinner perfect for cold nights.
Hey gang! This Moroccan 3 bean stew is pretty much a follow up, and the perfect side to pair with the Moroccan saffron rice from yesterday. There are similar spices in this as the rice from yesterday. Cumin, cinnamon and harissa, give these beans a smokey sweet flavour that is so often found in Moroccan and north African cooking.
Now, what makes this bean stew so amazing and quick is that we’ve used tinned beans. Be sure that the beans you buy for this are all packed in water without salt. That way you’re in full control over what you eat.
Why use tinned beans instead of dried?
Beans are one of the greatest nutritional power houses that you can get. They also come really cheap. Now, you can use dried beans and toss them in the slow cooker, and that would be amazing, but this is really meant to be the ultimate pantry supper. More often I prefer to use tinned because they’re just so much quicker than dried ones that need soaking overnight. Tinned beans also don’t lose any of their nutrients during the canning process. And this stew is meant to be able to come together in 30 minutes.
This 3 bean Moroccan stew takes 5 tins and some spices and an onion. And just a few minutes.
Step By Step Smokey Moroccan Bean Stew
- Drain your kidney beans, butter beans and some chick peas and give them a quick rinse.
Then sweat the onion until just starting to turn golden. Add the ginger, and garlic and let sweat for another minute.
Add the harissa paste to the onion, ginger and garlic. Then add your spices. Let it all get warm before you add the tomatoes. Don’t worry if you have some darker bits catching on the bottom of the pan.
Add the tomatoes and the beans and bring everything up to a simmer for about 10 minutes. That’s it. It really is not much more than opening some tins and adding some spices.
This recipe does make a lot, so I highly recommend that you take the rest to work for lunch tomorrow. You will be so happy about leftovers!
Simple and Smokey Moroccan Bean Stew
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 thumb size piece ginger peeled and minced
For the spice mix
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 Tablespoons ground cumin
- 3 pods green cardamom
- 2 heaped Tablespoons harissa paste
- 1 x 400g tin kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 1 x 400g tin chick peas drained and rinsed
- 1 x 400g tin butter beans drained and rinsed
- 1 white onion chopped
- 2 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes in juice
- 1 teaspoon white balsamic vinegar or cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup pomegranate arils
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt to serve
- Heat the oil over a medium heat in a large heavy sauce pan. Add the onions and sweat until they are starting to turn golden. Add the garlic and ginger and mix. Leave over the heat for another minute before adding the harissa paste.
- Add the harissa paste and the spices and mix with the onions to form a very thick mixture. Add the beans and the tomatoes.
- Bring everything to a boil, then turn to heat down and continue to simmer for 15 minutes.
- Serve with the Moroccan rice and some yogurt and pomegranate.