These cardamom chocolate cookies are the perfect dress up of a classic chocolate chip cookie. Rich, dark chocolate, wrapped in fragrant and warming cardamom make these cookies the perfect everyday indulgence.
Cardamom Chocolate Chip Cookies. Does the world need another chocolate chip cookie recipe? Maybe not. But I’m bringing these cardamom chocolate chip cookies to the table anyway. This version is my perfect chocolate chip cookie. Big. Chocolate-y, more on the salty side than the sweet side and fragrant with warming cardamom.
I love my cookies BIG. Because when you have one, it actually works out to be more like 2. Win-win situation. These cookies aren’t really so much cake-y but have those ridges with texture. And the cardamom nestles into those folds and each bite has the sweet chocolate-y, toast-y cardamom, kinda salty thing going on.
4 Secrets to Perfect Cardamom Chocolate Chip Cookies
- So, let’s start by talking texture. Crispy edges. Soft middles and all the soft, fluffy ridges you can handle. These are the kind of cookies that anyone would love to get as a homemade Christmas gift or a perfect hostess gift. The toasty cardamom makes them just a little more special than a regular chocolate chip cookie.
- Next thing we need to talk about is the fact that this recipe uses half browned butter and half room temperature butter. I’m a huge fan of browned butter and the extra depth and character that it lends to chocolate. I don’t go as dark as I could with the butter. We’re looking for a hint of depth and nuttiness, here.
- Lastly… smoked sea salt on the top of these cardamom cookies, just to bring all those flavors together. The nuttiness from the browned butter, rich sweetness from the chocolate chunks and that almost citrus toastiness from the cardamom. It all comes full circle with you add a subtle kiss of smoke to the whole mix.
- Yes. You can make these cookies without browned butter. Just use the same amount of butter listed in the recipe and make sure it’s room temperature. You can also skip the smoked sea salt and opt for regular sea salt too. But please make sure you add that hint of salt. Chocolate and salt have always had a wild love affair!
So, needless to say, as soon as those cookies hit the heat of the oven, your kitchen will start to smell like heaven. Now, I’m an avid baker and a recovering pastry chef, so I’ve made lots of cookies in my time. But these ones may be my favorite recipe yet. The taste and texture of these chocolate chip cookies are the perfect combo.
So, now that I’ve introduced you to these chocolate chip cookies, I’m about to get very controversial. A lot of people will tell you that baking needs to happen with unsalted butter. Not in this case. I use salted butter, just so that I’m not buying two different kinds. I don’t blend my sea salt, I leave it chunky and flakey. And I use chocolate chunks. And that sprinkle of cardamom makes the chocolate stand out and give it a more complex flavor. If you want to use cinnamon instead of cardamom then please do and report back to me! Or if your a total puritan and want to skip the spices all together, that’s fine too. But they really are perfect as cardamom chocolate chip cookies.
THANKS SO MUCH FOR READING AND COOKING ALONG WITH ME! IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE OR HAVE A QUESTION, I’D LOVE IT IF YOU LEFT A COMMENT AND A RATING. YOU CAN ALSO FOLLOW ALONG ON PINTEREST, FACEBOOK AND INSTAGRAM TO SEE WHAT WE’RE EATING, PINNING AND A LITTLE BEHIND THE SCENES TOO!
CARDAMOM CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
- 1 cup butter room temperature divided in two
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla
- 2 1/4 cup all purpose plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups chocolate chunks chopped
- smoked sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- Preheat the oven to 375F/ 180C
- Place 1/2 the butter in the bowl of a stand mixer with the white and brown sugar. Place the other half of the butter in a pan over a medium heat. Melt the butter and cook over a medium heat until golden and nutty. About 4 minutes. Remove from the heat and leave to cool for 5 minutes.
- Beat the sugars with the butter until soft, light and fluffy. Add the browned butter to the sugars and mix well.
- Add the eggs and vanilla and mix until the eggs are incorporated. Mix in the flour, baking soda and cardamom. Mix until just combined. Fold in the chocolate chunks and mix gently. Using a scoop, roll the cookies into balls and place on a baking tray 3 inches apart. Gently flatten the cookies and sprinkle with the smoked sea salt.
- Bake for 6-10 minutes. Leave to cool on the tray for 2 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling.