Cardamom Chocolate Chip Cookies. Does the world need another chocolate chip cookie recipe? Maybe not. But I’m bringing these cardamom chocolate chip cookies to the table anyway. This version is my perfect chocolate chip cookie. Big. Chocolate-y, more on the salty side than sweet side and fragrant with warming cardamom.
I love my cookies BIG. Because when you have one, it actually works out to be more like 2. Win-win situation. These cookies aren’t really so much cake-y but have those ridges with texture. And the cardamom nestles into those folds and each bite has the sweet chocolate-y, toast-y cardamom, kinda salty thing going on.
So needless to say, as soon as those cookies hit the heat of the oven, your kitchen will start to smell like heaven. Now, I’m an avid baker and a recovering pastry chef, so I’ve made lots of cookies in my time. But these ones may be my favourite recipe yet. The taste and texture of these chocolate chip cookies is the perfect combo.
So, now that I’ve introduced you to these chocolate chip cookies, I’m about to get very controversial. Now, a lot of people will tell you that baking needs to happen with unsalted butter. Not in this case. I use salted butter, just so that I’m not buying two different kinds. I don’t blend my sea salt, I leave it chunky and flakey. And I use chocolate chunks AND chocolate chips. And that sprinkle of cardamom makes the chocolate stand out and give it a more complex flavour. If you want to use cinnamon instead of cardamom then please do and report back to me! Or if your a total puritan and want to skip the spices all together, that’s fine too. But they really are perfect as cardamom chocolate chip cookies.
Cardamom Chocolate Chip Cookies
Cardamom Chocolate Chip Cookies. These classic cookies are given a modern twist with the addition of cardamom for a slightly exotic feel to the classic.
- 180 G butter softened
- ¾ cup 135G brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups 300G plain (all-purpose) flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 150 G dark chocolate chopped or dark chocolate chips.
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon flakey seasalt
- Preheat oven to 180ºC. Place the butter, sugar and vanilla in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat until pale and creamy. Gradually add the eggs and beat well. Add the flour and baking powder and beat until a smooth dough forms. Fold through the chocolate.
- Roll 2 tablespoonfuls of the mixture into balls, place on baking trays lined with non-stick baking paper and press to flatten. Sprinkle with sea salt and cardamom. Bake for 12–15 minutes or until golden. Allow to cool on the trays. Makes 12.