Earl Grey Banana Chocolate Muffins. It's like earl grey tea on a rainy day is pretty much perfection. But... we've taken our tea and we've thrown it into some banana chocolate muffins.
I should mention that these muffins are giant and that they are loaded with chocolate and sprinkled with sea salt. Now, these muffins are an experiment in flavour and one that you will truly love. Playing around with flavours is one of the joys of baking and more often than not, you'll hit on flavour combinations that may seem strange, but just end up working out so well.
Case in point are these Earl Grey chocolate muffins. The star of the show are the bananas, but a close second is the chocolate. Because chocolate and bananas just go together.
How to make Earl Grey Banana Chocolate Muffins
- Steep an earl grey tea bag in some milk and leave long enough to cool.
- Use very ripe bananas. If you don't have any that are really ripe, you can roast some in an oven heated to 350f for about 30 minutes.
- Use chocolate chunks rather than chocolate chips for a really indulgent muffin.
The Earl Grey ties in with the chocolate and the cinnamon ties in with the chocolate too. The cinnamon boosts the banana flavour and the whole muffin is brought together by a delicate sprinkle of sea salt.
Because chocolate and salt are best friends.
So, if you're after giant banana muffins with a little more to offer than just the regular thing. These earl grey muffins are perfect.
Earl Grey Banana Chocolate Muffins
- ¾ cup 170g butter
- 1 cup 200g white sugar
- ½ 100g cup light brown sugar
- 4 bananas mashed
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 earl grey tea bag
- juice of ½ lemon
- 2 eggs
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cups 300g plain flour
- 150 g 1 cup chocolate chopped
- Pre Heat the oven to 350f or 165c. Heat the milk in a small pan and infuse with the Earl Grey tea bag for 10-15 minutes.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer or with an electric whisk, mix the butter and sugar until soft and fluffy.
- Add the bananas and the milk and lemon juice and mix until combined.
- The mixture will start to look split. This is perfectly fine.
- Add the eggs one at a time and mix after each addition.
- Mix the flour and cinnamon and add the the mixer.
- Gently mix in the chocolate and fill 12 greased muffin tins ¾ full.
- Sprinkle the muffins with sea salt.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Leave to cool.
- Makes 12 muffins.