This one-pan lemon roast chicken and asparagus (with potatoes!) is the ultimate sheet pan dinner. It’s lemony, it’s garlic-y, it’s healthy and a breeze to make. Perfectly quick for weeknights and delicious enough for weekend entertaining. Everything in a pan and the oven takes care of the rest!
This chicken and asparagus dinner is essentially the best sheet pan dinner that you’ll make this week. But there are a few things that you should know about making this.
Chicken & Asparagus Sheet Pan Dinner Top Tips
- If you want a meat with more flavor, you can use chicken thighs.
- If asparagus is out of season, you can use green beans, tenderstem broccoli or just about any other vegetable you want.
- Squeeze the roasted lemons straight into the pan and mix with the roasting juices to create the easiest pan sauce ever.
- To keep the chicken moist while roasting (if it’s getting too dark) you can place a piece of damp baking paper over the chicken for the last few minutes.
This chicken and asparagus bake is also completely doable in foil packets. If that’s the way you want to go, then there are some steps that you should take.
To make lemon chicken and asparagus in a foil packet
- For the potatoes, slice them thinly, then place them on a large piece of foil. Drizzle with some olive oil and add the herbs.
- Loosely wrap the foil and place in the oven or on the grill for about 10 minutes to give the potatoes a head start.
- Either use boneless skinless chicken breasts or take the skin off the chicken breasts. *You definitely want to get rid of the skin if you cook these in foil. The skin won’t brown and crisp when it’s covered, so you’ll end up with pale, soggy skin. Use skinless chicken!
- Use a mallet or a rolling pin to flatten the chicken so it cooks faster.
- Carefully unfold the foil with the potatoes, avoiding any steam, and wrap the chicken and asparagus with the herbs and lemon.
If you are going to make this for entertaining this would be awesome being baked in a ceramic baking dish like this one. That way you can just put it down in the center of the table and let everyone help themselves. Just make sure you put a pot holder down first!
Other than that, this stunning sheet pan dinner will be in heavy rotation all year long!
THANKS SO MUCH FOR READING AND COOKING ALONG WITH ME! IF YOU MAKE THESE BARS OR HAVE A QUESTION, I’D LOVE IT IF YOU LEFT A COMMENT AND A RATING. YOU CAN ALSO FOLLOW ALONG ON PINTEREST, FACEBOOK AND INSTAGRAM TO SEE WHAT WE’RE EATING, PINNING AND A LITTLE BEHIND THE SCENES TOO!
One Pan Lemon Roast Chicken and Asparagus
- 2 boneless chicken breasts
- 3 lemons 2x zest- 1x sliced
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 2 cloves garlic grated
- 50 ml olive oil
- 2 Tbsps Herbes de Provence
- 2 Tbsps Basil dried
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 500 g new potatoes
- 1 x bunch asparagus trimmed
- Pre-heat the oven to 180c. In a small bowl combine the olive oil, grated garlic, lemon zest, honey and dried herbs. Spread the marinade over the chicken and leave to sit while you prep the potatoes.
- To prepare the potatoes, slice the new potatoes in half lengthwise. This makes them thinner than if you cut them width wise and they will cook faster. Drizzle with olive oil and salt and pepper. Scatter with some thyme sprigs and place in the oven for about 10 minutes. *see notesWhen your ten minutes is up, add the chicken to the pan and place the lemon slices on top. Put the tray back in the oven for another 20 minutes.
- For the final 10 minutes of cooking add your asparagus to the roasting pan. Drizzle with some more olive oil and salt and pepper. Place back in the oven for the last 10 minutes.Serve dinner right from the pan.