Today we're digging into Thai yellow curry, sans curry paste! Do I have your attention? Awesome! You won't want to miss this!
Okay, I know what you're thinking... Thai yellow curry means making your own curry paste...
Girl, listen to me. No it don't! Nope. Not today! I did say it was simple, didn't I? So, you're covered on the 30 minute meal plan. Clearly that's our jam these days. We need more 30 minute simple meal ideas, you and me. Amiright?
Do you really need a curry paste to make an authentic curry? No. You don't.
Now, let's get real. We don't need a curry paste to develop deep and aromatic flavours. No, we do not. What we need are a few ultra flavourful ingredients that have all the characteristics of a Thai curry paste, but not to make a paste. You with me so far?
How do you make a curry without curry paste?
Okay, think lemongrass, coconut milk, garlic, kaffir lime leaves (available in the spice section of your supermarket ??), turmeric (everyone's favourite superfood ingredient), smoked paprika and some garam masala. And a small green chilli pepper never hurt either. Then we top it all off with everyone's favourite cilantro (coriander in my part of the world).
This dinner is perfect for those weeknights when you don't think you have anything for dinner. Essentially, we gonna steal a few ingredients from your morning smoothie! Shhh! Don't tell. We're gonna "borrow" some spinach, and some coconut milk. Oh, and a little pinch of that turmeric. <- superfood goodness all day loooong!
This recipe includes chicken, but if you don't have it... well, NBD. Don't worry mama. It'll still be ah-mazing. No paste required, cause I ♡ you like that.
*Note- This recipe makes 4 servings, but it's even better when it's left over for dinner or lunch the following day. 1 recipe 2 dinners... YASSSSS, girlfriend! You nailed this dinner thang!
Simple Thai Yellow Curry
- 1 medium onion
- 1 piece thumb size of ginger
- 1 lemongrass stalk
- 2 teaspoon garam masala
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon paprika smoked
- 2 leaves x Dried Kaffir Lime optional
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 200 ml coconut milk
- 250 g chicken cut into chunks
- rice for serving
- Heat the oil in a medium skillet. Add the onion, garlic, ginger and lemongrass to the pan cook for 5-8 minutes, until soft and translucent.
- Then add the spices: garam masala, turmeric, and paprika.
- Add the coconut milk and kaffir lime and bring to the boil. Let simmer for a minute to reduce the coconut cream to thicken it up.
- Add the chicken and cook until done. Then add the spinach and wilt down of a minute before serving.
- Serve over rice.