Hey. Can you believe we’re here, at the weekend already? I know when I get to Friday’s I’m looking for a quick dinner that is full on flavour, super easy, and light enough that I’m not falling asleep on the sofa by 8pm. Not just me? K. great! Let’s talk carne asada bowls then and all the ways we love them.
This one is ready in 20 minutes thanks in part to my tremendously speed obsessed self. I used pre-made rice for these bowls!!!!! All those exclamation points are because I’ve never bought pre-made rice before in my life. My total food snob self thought that it was a step too far. Then my Aldi sale self asked that snob to sit down while I bought myself 2!!! packages of rice. Bam! Take that food snob!
But in all seriousness… you can totally make your own rice. I just saw a sale and an opportunity to try something new. But what we really want to talk about is how we heated up the skillet, non stick, so is was HAWT. A little splash of olive oil and salt and pepper and we’re off! What characterises a carne asada is that charring of the beef. So dark is great. Get yourself a quick cooking steak. Anything like a skirt steak or a flank steak is great. I used a bavette steak with can go a bit tough if it’s over cooked so it’s perfect for a dish like this when you want to cook the outside really quickly, but leave the inside rare or medium rare.
For the rest of the bowl, I tossed in some sweet corn, black beans and lettuce. I topped it all off with cherry tomatoes and feta. I know most people would use queso fresco, but I can’t seem to find any where I live, so feta it is.
If you are feeling a little indulgent you can top the whole thing off with a drizzle of olive oil. I however sacrificed the oil in exchange for one of these caramel cups!
So let me know what kind of foods you all make on a Friday night and over the weekend. I’d love to know!
Simple Carne Asada Bowls
- 250 g pre cooked store bought brown basmati rice or make your own
- 250 g bavette steak or other quick cooking cut
- 150 g sweet corn
- 150 g black beans
- 1 head of baby gem lettuce shredded
- 10 cherry tomatoes quartered
- 1 avocado
- 50 g skim milk feta cheese
- a skillet over a medium heat warm the rice. Once warmed transfer to a bowl and place in the oven to keep warm.
- Turn the heat up to high and add a splash of olive oil to your pan.
- Season the beef with salt and pepper and cook on high heat for about 3 minutes per side until the outside is charred.
- Set aside to rest the beef before you slice it.
- Shred the lettuce and warm the corn and beans in the skillet which will still be hot from the beef.
- Wipe the skillet out with a paper towel first if you need to.
- Assemble the bowls starting with the rice, lettuce, beef and beans, corn, tomatoes, avocado and some cheese. Serve with some tortilla chips if you like.