This post first appeared over at Sugar & Soul where I’m a contributor.
This Epic Rib Eye Steak is the perfect one pan dinner. Juicy beef, fragrant rosemary, and crispy kale make this the perfect recipe for date night in or is elegant enough to serve company.
This Epic Rib Eye Steak is a delicious one pan dinner is gonna make you feel like you’re cheating on your favourite steak house and like you may never actually need to go back anyway.
OK. I get it. Steak can be intimidating to cook at home. How do you know when it’s done? Do you have to BBQ it? How the heck do you season it like your fave steak house does? So we’re gonna go through some steak pointers so that you can nail your own epic rib eye steak night.
Firstly, make sure that your beef is at room temperature before you even turn that stove on. Leave it out for about 30 minutes on a plate on your counter top. That should be enough time to take the chill off. Secondly, all you need to season it like your favourite steak house… salt and pepper. You can throw away all those fancy meat tenderizer powders and steak spice mixes. Most of them are pretty much salt anyway.
So, before you get that steak in a pan, season it with salt and pepper on both sides then rub olive oil into both sides. In this case, it’s a much better bet to oil the beef than the pan. Because we’re cooking this rib eye on a pretty high heat for a few minutes, if you oiled the pan you would have a tremendous amount of smoke. Oiling the beef cuts down on the smoke and the potential for burning the oil.
Lastly, leave that steak to rest while you saute the mushrooms in the pan and get that kale crispy and delicious. The resting bit is what’s going to bring this recipe from steak to epic rib eye steak night. Serve it alongside some Irish Fried Cabbage or the Best Mashed Potatoes!
Things You’ll Need for making an epic Rib Eye Steak recipe:
- Nonstick Pan – You’ll want a good and sturdy one that has enough room for this large steak and garnishes. I love my Simply Calphalon Pan, I make everything in it!
- Olive Oil – You want to use a good olive oil for the best flavour, choose your favourite but make sure it’s of a decent quality.
- Fresh Rosemary – You absolutely want fresh rosemary for this recipe, dried just won’t cut it when it comes to flavour.
- Rib Eye Steak – Obviously you’ll need the star ingredient, but make sure you get a nice cut, head to your local butcher or farmer’s market for a great piece of meat.
How To Make An Epic Rib Eye
- 1 lb rib eye steak
- 2 cups wild mushrooms washed
- 2 cups kale washed
- 1 can cannellini beans
- 3 sprigs rosemary
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Leave the rib eye to come to room temperature.
- Season with salt and pepper and drizzle with olive oil.
- Heat a nonstick pan over a high heat.
- When the pan is hot, place the rib eye in the middle of the pan and cook for about 7 minutes, then turn the steak and cook for a further 5 minutes, or until the desired doneness is reached.
- Place the steak on a plate and cover with foil and leave to rest.
- Meanwhile, place a tablespoon of oil in the pan and add the mushrooms and season with salt and pepper.
- Add the rosemary sprigs.
- When the mushrooms are golden and have released their juices, add the kale and cover with a lid only until the kale is wilted.
- Add the cannellini beans and warm through.
- Place the steak back into the pan and serve at the table.