Maple marinated grilled chicken is loaded on to this salad with fresh peaches and wild rice. It’s also got roasted corn and avocado for that southwest flavour.
This salad completely feels like it’s part way between summer and fall. There’s peachy peaches but then that maple chicken. But wait… then we’ve got roasted corn… but then wild rice. Summer… fall… no wait… summer… but maybe fall… oh, I dunno, but it’s damn delicious for sure.
I may not come across as a salad snob… but I am. The idea of a bowl of lettuce with some sauce and a cucumber slice doesn’t do anything for me. No friends. That limp lettuce-y salad life is not for us, right? We go BIG (with hearty grains, toasted veggies and mustard maple marinated chicken) or we go home. Big bold dinner salads is how we roll around here.
I’m also on a mission to get everyone to start pairing fruits with savoury dishes to. How else are we gonna maximise all that lush summer fruit we’ve got in our lives? It’s for a limited time only, guys! Peaches and corn all August long.
The true beauty of this peachy maple chicken salad is that the marinade doubles as the dressing and that it only takes 20 minutes to make. Because, we’re squeezing every last outside, summertime, warm weather drop of sunshine out of August. Because even though we are definitely in the heat of summer, the air is also definitely getting cooler at night and staying chilly in the mornings.
But what we really need to talk about is the fact that we’re getting our grains into this salad. Brown basmati and wild rice, thank you very much. Instant dinner in salad form. But that rice can be made the day before, or even on the weekend as part of your meal prep. And that marinade has got 3 ingredients only. It’s the wonder dinner salad that just keeps on giving.
So if you’re looking for a dinner salad that’s loaded with all the summer goodness that you crave, and a salad that’s gonna keep you fuller for longer AND a salad that doesn’t actually feel like you’re eating salad… then this is your salad.
3 Reasons to make this Peachy Maple Chicken And Roasted Corn Rice Salad
- It’s loaded with protein from the chicken and brown rice.
- This salad has the perfect balance of sweet and savoury.
- It benefits from slow release carbs from the brown rice.
That may be a record for having the word “salad” in one sentence. That’s it… I’m out!
Peachy Maple Chicken And Roasted Corn Rice Salad
Maple marinated grilled chicken is loaded on to this salad with fresh peaches and wild rice. It's also got roasted corn and avocado for that southwest flavour.
- 2 chicken breasts
- 2 Tbsp dijon mustard
- 2 Tbsp whole grain mustard
- 1/4 maple syrup
- 1 avocado
- 1 peach
- 2 handfuls mixed baby salad leaves
- 2 cups brown basmati and wild rice mix
- 2 Tbsp mixed seeds
- In a small bowl mix the mustards and maple syrup together in a small bowl. Marinade will be thick.
- Reserve 2 Tbsp of the dressing and set aside.
- Put the chicken breasts in the marinade and leave for 20 minutes.
- If making the rice at the same time, cook it now according to the package instructions.
- Grill the chicken for 20 minutes or until cooked.
- Let the reserved dressing down with 2-4 Tbsp of water.
- Place the cooked rice in the bottom of a bowl and layer with the remaining ingredients.