This pumpkin pasta is the perfect sweet but earthy cozy dinner. With it’s sweet and creamy flavor, pumpkin is one of fall’s perfect foods. It turns into the silkiest sauce paired up with meaty and savory garlic rosemary mushrooms.
I know… whenever you think of pumpkin and fall your mind automatically goes to Starbucks pumpkin spice lattes. Yep. I’m with you. But once we’ve drunk 28932144 pumpkin spice lattes in the first week of October, it’s time to broaden our pumpkin horizons.
But, whenever I think about fall there are some classic flavors that come to mind. Sage, rosemary, and walnuts are top of mind. And of course, the obvious produce that comes to mind for fall are pumpkins, mushrooms, and figs. For this pasta, I just had to bring them all together. Yes… all the flavors… in one dish.
Key Ingredients for Pumpkin Pasta
- pumpkin (or butternut squash)
- fettuccini noodles (dried noodles are perfect here)
- wild mushrooms (button mushrooms will still be good, but if you can find “mixed wild mushrooms” go with that. They will bring you so. much. flavor!)
- heavy cream
- parmesan cheese
- Maybe some grilled chicken? Always a winner!
How to make the Pumpkin Pasta Sauce In 5 Steps
- Peel and cube the pumpkin into 1-inch dice
- sautee the pumpkin in a pan until lightly golden along with an onion and a clove of garlic
- Add some vegetable broth or water to just cover and cook until the pumpkin is soft.
- Blend and add some heavy cream and/or water until desired consistency is reached.
- Then add handfuls of creamy freshly grated parmesan cheese.
Okay. So why am I saying that the walnuts are optional? Because I know that not everyone has time, especially during the week to toast some walnuts with rosemary and sea salt. If you’ve got the time and you’re so inclined then yes, DO IT!!! But if not, don’t think another second about it.
This pumpkin pasta was really designed to stand on its own. It’s edifying and wholesome, nourishing and indulgent all at the same time. It really is the coziest perfect dinner for cold crisp nights.
So, grab your forks and twirl in 3, 2, 1… Go. Happy pumpkin pasta season!
THANKS SO MUCH FOR READING AND COOKING ALONG WITH ME! IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE OR HAVE A QUESTION, I’D LOVE IT IF YOU LEFT A COMMENT AND A RATING. YOU CAN ALSO FOLLOW ALONG ON PINTEREST, FACEBOOK AND INSTAGRAM TO SEE WHAT WE’RE EATING, PINNING AND A LITTLE BEHIND THE SCENES TOO!
Cozy Mushroom Pumpkin Pasta Fettuccine
- 1 pound of pumpkin peeled and diced into 1 inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 5 sage leaves finely sliced
- 1 cup vegetable or chicken broth or water
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 pound of fettuccine
For the mushrooms
- 2 cups mixed wild mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
For the walnuts
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- In a high sided skillet heat the olive oil and add the onion, garlic, and diced pumpkin. Cook until the onion and garlic are soft and the pumpkin is just starting to turn golden on the edges. Add the broth or water and cook the pumpkin and onions until they’re soft. Blend with a hand blender or put into a jug blender and blend until smooth and creamy. Whisk in the heavy cream and the parmesan until silky. Add water to get your perfect silky consistency.