This extra veggie creamy tomato and tortellini soup is a healthy and hearty dinner or lunch. Italian herbs, iron rich kale and tomatoes, with cheese tortellini. Simple soup and comes together in 20 minutes.
Hey there! Hope you all had a fabulous new year! Any resolutions happening? I know that January is usually the hallmark of commitments to diets and weight loss. But I think the world is pretty tired of mean portions and feeling like we're just not quite good enough the way we are. Right?
But, what we can do, is make sure that we've got veggies everywhere. We're making it all from scratch. And we're reducing sugar. The pantry is stocked with healthy grains, the fridge is full of seasonal fruits and veggies and we're drinking more water than we thought possible. This extra veggie creamy tomato and tortellini soup is our first stop on this health train.
Super simple steps to making extra veggie creamy tomato and tortellini soup
- Dice all the vegetables ensuring they're all roughly the same size to ensure that they cook at the same time.
- Heat the olive oil in a pan and sweat the vegetables until they are soft and translucent. Add the herbs and mix well.
- Add the tomatoes to the pan and bring to the boil. If your tomatoes are a little on the thicker side, you can thin the soup down with some water. Or, You can use vegetable stock for added flavour. Personally, I would go with the water. This soup has so much flavour that you won't miss the addition of veggie or chicken stock. And we can save on some added salt here. So, that's a bonus, too.
- Add the cream and the kale to the soup and mix in. Bring back to the boil and add the tortellini. This works really well because the starch in the pasta thickens the soup a little further. It's also a little trick I used in the turkey and vegetable noodle soup.
- So, as you can tell this whole soup comes together in about 20 minutes. Truly, there's no reason to ever buy premade soups again. I know it can sometimes feel like a stretch to get dinner on the table on a weeknight. Especially a healthy one. But if you keep a package of tortellini in your freezer and some tins of tomatoes in the pantry, you'll be good to go.
Handfuls of kale in the soup just bring a nice mineral flavour and add texture. We're all about texture right? So this year, let's cook it how we feel it. Add extra chillies, subtract the fruits you don't like and cook with ingredients you've never used before. Let loose with the veggies and get creative.
There are so many recipes that I can't wait to make for you guys. It's gonna be a fun year. And I can't wait to get going. Happy 2018!
Creamy Tomato and Kale Soup With Tortellini
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 onions chopped
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 Tablespoon rosemary chopped
- 1 Tablespoon dried basil
- 1 Tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 400 g tins chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup water
- 300 g Package of tortellini
- 2 cups kale
- ½ cup cream
- basil leaves
- Heat the oil in a large pan over a medium heat.
- Add the onions, carrots, celery and garlic and sauté until the onions are soft and translucent.
- Stir in the tomato paste, the rosemary and basil.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and water and bring to the boil.
- Mix the cream into the soup and heat through.
- Stir in the kale and add the tortellini. Cook the tortellini according to the package directions.
- Garnish with basil leaves and parmesan.
Your tortellini soup recipe is calling my name! It's so cold and this would totally hit the spot!
Thanks Amy. It's my favourite soup right now. Perfect for this cold January weather.
Lauryn King says
Would you suggest fresh or dry tortellini?
Hi Lauryn. Either will work. If you use dried, they'll just take a little longer to cook and you may need to add some extra broth. I personally prefer fresh, but both work in this recipe. Enjoy!