This Easy skillet lasagna is the coziest pasta dinner you’ll have this month. It’s simple to put together with a rich and meaty tomato sauce and a thick cream sauce.
This skillet lasagna is so darn cozy! You’ll be tempted to make it every week and enjoy those leftovers all week long. And it’s baked in a cast iron skillet which means it’s perfect for serving straight from the pan and looks cozy x 1000.
Cozy Skillet Lasagna
Like this recipe? Pin it to your Pasta pinboard!
Follow Salted Mint on Pinterest
Let me just start by saying that this lasagna is easy. Really, easy. But it’s also a homerun favorite with everyone who tries it. In fact, this was the main course when I catered a workshop for 12 amazing foodie ladies. Ever one of them asked me for the recipe. So… here it is!
But there are a couple things you’ll want to know about this lasagna first.
Cozy Easy Lasagna Pro Tips
- Use the no-cook lasagna noodles and skip the boiling.
- When you make the tomato beef sauce make sure you add a pinch of cinnamon. It helps to boost any tomato flavor and adds a hint of toasty warmth.
- Skip the ricotta and use a simple bechamel sauce to layer. It has so much more flavor and richness than ricotta cheese. As well as a silky texture rather than ricotta’s somewhat grainy texture.
Can you cook lasagna in a cast iron pan?
Yep. You sure can. And it means that placing dinner in the middle of the table is not only perfectly acceptable but gives your table an instant farmhouse feel. The cooking method is the exact same, but it may be slightly quicker as cast iron gets so much hotter than most oven porcelain.
Is it better to cook lasagna the day before?
Well, it depends. If you have time, then yes. The flavor will intensify and the beef sauce will taste richer and the bechamel will be even creamier. It also gives all the flavors a chance to mix and mingle and to really come together. BUT… if you’re pushed for time, then, by all means, make it the day you’re going to be serving it. There are few things better than hot fresh lasagna put down in the middle of the table.
Cozy Dinner Lovers Unite!
More Cast Iron Recipes
Tools used to make this Recipe Name
Cozy Easy Skillet Lasagna
For the Beef Tomato Sauce
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 red onion finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 x 14 ounce tins tomatoes fire roasted if available
- 1 bunch basil
For the Béchamel
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 2 Tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
To assemble the lasagna
- 1 package lasagna sheets no cook or cooked to package directions
- 1 pound mozzarella cheese grated
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF or 175ºC.
To Make The Sauce
- In a medium sauce pan brown the ground beef over medium high heat until cooked all the way through. Using a slotted spoon, remove the beef into a bowl leaving the fat in the pan.
- Add the diced onion and minced garlic to the beef fat and cook until soft and fragrant about 10 minutes. Add the dried herbs to the pan and stir. Add the tomato paste and stir for 1 minute. Mix in the chopped tomatoes and bring to a boil. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add the beef back to the sauce and stir thoroughly. Set aside.
To make the béchamel
- Melt the butter in a sauce pan and whisk in the flour. Continue to mix until thick. Slowly add the milk while whisking continuously to avoid any lumps. Add in the nutmeg and stir. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Layer the lasagna sheets until the bottom of your skillet is covered. Ladle some of the beef sauce onto the sheets and spread to cover. Top the sauce with a layer of mozzarella and then a layer of the béchamel. Add into the layers some chopped fresh basil.
- Continue layering until the skillet is full and the sauce and cheese are used. Top with the remaining cheese. See notes.
- Chop the remaining basil and scatter over the top.
- Bake uncovered for about 30 minutes, or until the lasagna noodles are cooked and the cheese is brown and bubbling.
THANKS SO MUCH FOR READING AND COOKING ALONG WITH ME! IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE OR HAVE A QUESTION, I’D LOVE IT IF YOU LEFT A COMMENT AND A RATING. YOU CAN ALSO FOLLOW ALONG ON PINTEREST, FACEBOOK AND INSTAGRAM TO SEE WHAT WE’RE EATING, PINNING AND A LITTLE BEHIND THE SCENES TOO!