These easy flatbread crackers are the perfect alternative to expensive store-bought crackers. With basic pantry ingredients and in just about 30 minutes, you can make these delightfully crispy crackers, perfect for all your snacking and entertaining needs.
These easy flatbread crackers are the perfect pairing for our dips like this white bean dip, pea and mint hummus or this hot spinach and artichoke dip. They also make a great addition to your cheeseboard. You will also definitely want to check out our homemade tortilla chips.
⭐️ Why You'll Love These Easy Homemade Crackers
- No Special Equipment Needed: A bowl, a rolling pin, and you're all set.
- Nutrient-Packed: With optional seed toppings, you’re adding a nutritious crunch.
- Incredibly Versatile: A blank canvas for flavors and pairs well with almost any dip, cheese, or wine.
🧾 Flat Bread Cracker Key Ingredients
- Flour: The base of your flatbread cracker. Provides structure and substance.
- Olive Oil: Adds a Mediterranean touch, also contributes to the crispy texture.
- Salt: Balances the flavors, also acts as a natural preservative.
- Optional Seeds (Sunflower, Sesame, Chia): Adds a nutty flavor and extra crunch. Highly recommended for 3 seed flatbread crackers.
- Optional Herbs: Think rosemary, thyme, or oregano for an extra layer of flavor.
See recipe card for quantities.
📖 Substitutions & Variations
- Dairy-Free: If you're vegan or lactose intolerant, rest assured these are dairy-free crackers.
- Gluten-Free: Simply use a certified gluten-free flour.
- Flavor Variations: Experiment with herb-infused flavors or seasoned flatbread options.
👩🏻🍳 Homemade Crackers in 4 Easy Steps
- Preheat Your Oven
- Start by preheating your oven to 400°F (200°C). A preheated oven is crucial for achieving the perfect crispiness. Special Tip: Preheating is essential for a crunchy texture.
- Make the Dough
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, olive oil, and salt. Mix until the ingredients form a cohesive dough. Special Tip: For best results, use a stand mixer with a paddle attachment.
- Once mixed, knead the dough until smooth. Special Tip: Don't over-knead; you're aiming for tender crackers.
- Roll Out the Dough
- Use a rolling pin to roll the dough to approximately ⅛-inch thickness.
- With a cookie cutter or knife, cut the dough into your desired shapes. For an artisan touch, irregular shapes can add character.
- Prepare for Baking
- Place your cut shapes onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Add Seeds and Herbs
- Sprinkle your choice of seeds and optional herbs over the dough. Special Tip: Press the seeds gently into the dough to make sure they stick.
- Bake to Perfection
- Put the tray in the oven and bake for 10-12 minutes, or until the edges of the crackers turn golden brown.
Storing Cracker Dough
- Room Temperature
- If you're planning to use the dough within the same day, you can cover it tightly with plastic wrap and keep it at room temperature for up to 4 hours.
- For longer storage, wrap the dough tightly in plastic wrap and place it in an airtight container. Store in the fridge for up to 2 days.
- For maximum longevity, tightly wrap the dough in plastic and then in a ziplock bag. It can be frozen for up to 2 months.
Storing Baked Crackers
- Room Temperature
- Once your crackers are baked and cooled, store them in an airtight container at room temperature. They will remain crisp for up to a week.
- Like the dough, baked crackers can also be frozen. Wrap them tightly in plastic wrap and store them in a ziplock bag for up to 3 months.
- To refresh the crispiness of baked crackers, you can reheat them in an oven at 350°F (175°C) for about 5 minutes.
💡 Top Tips
- Consistency is Key: Make sure the crackers are uniformly thick to ensure even baking.
- High-Quality Olive Oil: A better oil gives better flavor.
Absolutely, use a gluten-free flour blend.
To maximize crispiness, make sure to store the baked crackers in an airtight container at room temperature. Exposing them to air will make them go stale faster. If you find that they have lost their crunch, you can reheat them in the oven at 350°F (175°C) for about 5 minutes to restore their crispiness.
For a kid-friendly flatbread cracker recipe, skip any strong herbs and spices. Maybe stick to a simple salted version or add some grated cheese into the dough for a cheesy version.
These dips are perfect for serving with homemade flatbread crackers:
If you tried this Recipe or any other recipe on my website, please let me know in the comments below. I love hearing from you. Also, please leave a star rating whilst you're there!
You can also find weekly meal plans and budget recipes over on our sister site Savvy Bites.
easy home made flatbread crackers
- 1 ⅔ cups (200 g) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon (1 teaspoon) salt
- 1 teaspoon (1 teaspoon) sugar
- 3 (3) sprigs fresh thyme leaves, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoon (2 teaspoon) cracked black pepper
- A large pinch of cayenne pepper
- ½ cup (115 ml) water
- 2 tablespoon (2 tablespoon) olive oil
- 1 (1) beaten egg, for brushing
- Optional Toppings: Za’atar, fennel seeds, mixed seeds, onion seeds, caraway seeds
Preheat the Oven
- Preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C).
Prepare the Dough
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the flour, salt, sugar, chopped thyme, cracked black pepper, and cayenne pepper.
- In a separate bowl, mix the water and olive oil.
Mix and Knead
- With the paddle attachment on the mixer, slowly add the water-oil mixture to the dry ingredients while the mixer is running.
- Once the dough comes together, form it into a square shape.
Cut and Roll
- Divide the square dough into 4 equal blocks.
- Roll each block out to your desired thickness on a floured surface.
Add Toppings and Prick
- Brush the surface of the rolled dough with a beaten egg.
- Sprinkle your choice of seeds or za’atar over the dough.
- Using a fork, prick the surface of the dough to prevent excessive puffing.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 15 minutes or until the crackers are golden and start to crisp up.
Cut and Cool
- Once out of the oven, cut the baked dough into squares, triangles, or any shape you like.
- The crackers will continue to crisp as they cool. Allow them to cool completely before storing.
- Pricking: Make sure to thoroughly prick the crackers to avoid puffing and to achieve a flat, crisp texture.
- Herb Variations: Feel free to experiment with different herbs like rosemary or oregano for varied flavors.
- Optional Toppings: For an extra burst of flavor, consider using flavored oils for brushing or gourmet salts for sprinkling.