This spicy sweet potato soup is the perfect simple soup for any day. An ultra creamy, silky, nourishing soup with some juicy shrimp is a 30-minute meal that anyone can whip up.
It’s what the cold ravaged body needs right now. I know we went from planning holiday cheeseboards yesterday, to feeling positively struck down with a cold. For any of you out there who have succumb to the germs of the world. This is the solution you crave. It’s mild enough to be comforting, but with enough flavour and pizzazz to drag you back to the land of the living. And it’s easy. So super easy. You can go from sofa to kitchen and back to sofa with a steaming bowl of goodness in about 20 minutes. That’s only 1/3 of the way through one of those Gilmour Girls episodes on Netflix.
The prawns that so gracefully sit in the middle of this soup? Well, they’re not truly necessary to the soupy goodness, but they’re probably gonna make you feel pretty fancy schmancy so, you might as well get them on there. Cold notwithstanding, of course.
For anyone who is already indulging in the excess of the Thanksgiving season and going into premature Thanksgiving turkey overload, this may help you feel a bit lighter. Have this before you go headlong into glorious bounty of your Thanksgiving table. And I hope everyone of you who celebrates has a seriously amazing time gathering with friends and family and doing what it is you all do. We don’t have thanksgiving here in the UK, but I’m considering importing!
So, on a very cold but bright and sunny Monday let’s spend 20 minutes warming our hands. Gather around the stove and make the easiest sweet potato soup going!
Miso Sweet Potato Soup
Miso Sweet Potato Soup | Thick and steaming soup that will stick to your bones. It's nourishing with a hit of spice and luscious prawns. Made in 20 minutes.
- - 2 tbsp sesame oil
- - 2 tbsp finely grated ginger
- - 5 green onions thinly sliced
- - 80 g white miso paste
- - 800 g sweet potato about 3 large peeled and grated
- - 700 ml water
- - 400 ml chicken broth
- - 12 medium peeled prawns
- - 2 tsp sesame seeds
- - 1/2 dries chilli flakes
- - 2 tsp black onion seeds nigella seeds
- 1) Heat half the oil in a large sauce pan over medium heat.
- 2) Add half the ginger and half the spring onions. Cook for 2 minutes.
- 3) Add the miso and sweet potato and stir to combine.
- 4) Add the water and chicken broth and bring increase heat and bring to the boil.
- 5) Cook for about 10 minutes, or until the sweet potato is cooked.
- 6) Remove from the heat and season with salt and pepper.
- 7) Using a handheld stick blender or a regular blender, blend until smooth.
- 8) While the soup is cooking, place the prawns in a bowl with the other half of the ginger and sesame oil and all of the sesame and onion seeds.
- 9) Cook in a large skillet over high heat for about 3 minutes. Over cooking your prawns will make them rubbery.
- 10) Place the soup into warm bowls and top with the prawns and the remaining green onions