Make an easy show-stopping artichoke pasta in about 20 minutes with nothing but pantry staples and a bag of spinach. This pasta with chargrilled marinated artichokes and lots of lemons is bright and fresh and only takes 20 minutes. Add in some fresh peas and greens to make this vegetarian pasta extra special!
I'm not making any claims to authentic Italian cooking, here. What I am laying claim to, is a lemony pasta dinner bursting with peas and spinach that comes together in minutes and makes you reach for seconds... and thirds all the time.
Easy Artichoke Pasta
Like this recipe? Pin it to your Pasta pinboard!
Follow Salted Mint on Pinterest
Cooking the perfect pasta
- Boil your pasta according to the package directions. But here are a few tips for perfect pasta: Start with rapidly boiling water. You need enough water in the pan to ensure that when you add your pasta, it doesn't slow down the water from boiling. And for goodness sake make sure that water is well salted!
- Drain off your pasta, but be sure to save a few tablespoons of the water. Saving this will ensure that you end up with a silky sauce at the end because the starch in the water and the proteins in the cheese come together for silky smooth perfection.
- Set your pasta aside and in a skillet, heat the olive oil. Add the marinated artichokes and some pine nuts and some fresh peas. Heat until the artichokes are hot and starting to turn golden and crispy on the edges and the pine nuts are toasted. The peas only take a minute or 2 to cook.
- Stir in the cheese and pasta, add the water and let it all melt. Add giant handfuls of spinach and let it wilt from the heat of the pan.
Lemon Artichoke pasta sauce
This sauce is a light olive oil based sauce made silky with melted parmesan and a dash of the pasta cooking water. But it's worth knowing a couple of tips and tricks to make sure that you get the perfect pasta sauce.
- Be sure to reserve some of the pasta cooking water. A quarter cup will do.
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet and add the drained chargrilled artichokes.
- Let them gently cook until the artichokes are just starting to turn golden. Add the pine nuts and peas. If you add the pine nuts too early they'll burn and turn bitter. Golden and toasty is what you're looking for.
- Slowly add the pasta water and lemon juice while whisking the sauce to create an emulsion. If you are adding some cream, this would be the time to do that.
- Once the sauce is hot add the cheese to ensure it melts quickly and turns silky. Toss the hot pasta and some spinach with the sauce and serve with lots of fresh greens and extra cheese.
Artichoke Pasta Variations
You can absolutely change this recipe up for so many different variations to keep it exciting and seasonal.
- Switch the spinach for kale.
- Add a touch of cream to the sauce to give it more richness.
- Replace the pinenuts with chopped walnuts.
- Use vegetable broth to cook the noodles and turn this into a one-pot pasta.
- Add grilled chicken or turkey for extra protein.
More Easy Pasta Recipes
Tools used to make this Artichoke Pasta
THANKS SO MUCH FOR READING AND COOKING ALONG WITH ME! IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE OR HAVE A QUESTION, I’D LOVE IT IF YOU LEFT A COMMENT AND A RATING. YOU CAN ALSO FOLLOW ALONG ON PINTEREST, FACEBOOK AND INSTAGRAM TO SEE WHAT WE’RE EATING, PINNING AND A LITTLE BEHIND THE SCENES TOO!
Easy Artichoke Pasta with Peas and Lemon
- 1 pound (453.59 g) penne pasta, gluten free if required
- ¼ cup (54 g) olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 2 cups (60 g) baby spinach
- 6 ounce (170.1 g) jar of grilled marinated artichokes
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoon pine nuts
- 1 teaspoon red chilli flakes
- Heat the olive oil in a sauce pan and add the garlic, pine nuts artichokes and juice and zest of 1 lemon. Cook all the ingredients until the pine nuts are starting to brown and the artichokes are heated through and starting to turn golden on the edges.
- Meanwhile boil a large pan of salted water. Add the pasta and cook according to the package directions. Once cooked drain the pasta and add it to the pan with the artichokes and garlic.
- Stir in the cheese and let melt. Add the spinach and toss the pasta until the spinach is wilted.
- Drizzle with some olive oil and sprinkle with parmesan cheese.