This simple artichoke pasta will have you reaching for seconds every time. It’s packed with fresh spring peas and greens, chargrilled marinated artichokes with toasted pine nuts and lemon olive oil. Pasta night made healthy and light!
We’re carrying on our Italian theme from last week when I posted that simple ricotta gnocchi. Spring time, for me, is all about lightening up my favourite comfort foods. Because even though it’s still warm, let’s be honest, if you’re in the Northern hemisphere, it can still be pretty cold. But, let’s also be honest in that we’re craving all the greens and fresh foods that we can get our hands on!
This artichoke penne ticks all those boxes. Case in point about the weather still being kinda cold… if you live in Britain, or know anyone who does, you may have noticed that our weather has been going through some pretty wild swings this past week. One day we’re sitting comfortably at 20c then next day we’re being told that we can expect torrential rain and a spot of snow in some places!
So, this artichoke pasta is the perfect solution! It’s loaded with all the spiring green things, and can be served hot with a splash of olive oil ORRRRR you can chill it down and serve it as a pasta salad for those spring days that feel just like summer. PS. I love spring days that feel like summer!
This really is the simplest pasta recipe but I’ll do the step by step, just to give you some tips and tricks for making this the best version you can make!
Artichoke Pasta Step By Step:
- Boil your pasta according to the package directions. But here’s a few tips for perfect pasta: Start with rapidly boiling water. You need enough water in the pan to ensure that when you add your pasta, it doesn’t slow down the water from boiling. And for goodness sake make sure that water is well salted!
- Drain off your pasta, but be sure to save a few tablespoons of the water. Saving this will ensure that you end up with a silky sauce at the end, because the starch in the water and the proteins in the cheese come together for silky smooth perfection.
- Set your pasta aside and in a skillet, heat the olive oil. Add the marinated artichokes and some pine nuts and some fresh peas. Heat until the artichokes are hot and starting to turn golden and crispy on the edges and the pine nuts are toasted. The peas only take a minute or 2 to cook.
- Stir in the cheese and pasta, add the water and let it all melt. Add giant handfuls of spinach and let it wilt from the heat of the pan!
That’s it. You’re done!
You can truly make this pasta your own and add chicken, olives, kale… whatever it is you fancy. This also makes the best desk lunch the following day. You totally need to make this!
Thanks so much for being here! I’d love it if you left a rating and a comment letting me know how much you loved any of these recipes. Follow along on Instagram, Pinterest and Facebook for the latest!
Spring Artichoke Pasta with Spinach, Peas and Lemon
- 1 pound penne pasta gluten free if required
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 6 ounce jar of grilled marinated artichokes
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 2 Tbsp pine nuts
- 1 tsp red chilli flakes
- Heat the olive oil in a sauce pan and add the garlic, pine nuts artichokes and juice and zest of 1 lemon. Cook all the ingredients until the pine nuts are starting to brown and the artichokes are heated through and starting to turn golden on the edges.
- Meanwhile boil a large pan of salted water. Add the pasta and cook according to the package directions. Once cooked drain the pasta and add it to the pan with the artichokes and garlic.
- Stir in the cheese and let melt. Add the spinach and toss the pasta until the spinach is wilted.
- Drizzle with some olive oil and sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
Note 1. Ensure that your pasta water is well salted and is at a rolling boil before adding the pasta.
Note 2. Use a few tablespoons of the pasta water to add to the finished dish to create a silky sauce.
Note 3. This can be served hot for dinner, or makes the perfect pasta salad.
Note 4. Add extra protein with a chicken breast or some tofu.