This spicy Korean grilled chicken burger is the healthy answer to BBQ. Brushed with a honey-kissed Korean BBQ sauce, topped with a fresh crunchy vegetable coleslaw on a bed of avocado to keep it all light and healthy.
This week is an unofficial grilling week. Monday I posted "How to grill the perfect sirloin". We've been experiencing the most amazing hot summer so far. Being in England, it's really important for us to make the most of it!
So often when we think of a chicken burger we get the image of a breaded or battered deep fried burger. Don't get me wrong. These burgers have their place, it's just not in the middle of a heat wave. So, we've opted to cook these outside and on some real flame.
The most important question about a grilled chicken burger is "how do I know when it's done?"
Good question. Chicken is cooked when it reaches 166f or 74c. To make sure that you're grilling the best chicken that you can, use a meat thermometer.
Top 3 grilled chicken burger tips:
- Use a rolling pin to gently pound out the thickest point of the chicken breast so that it cooks evenly.
- Brush the grill and the chicken with some oil before you start grilling.
- Save the BBQ sauce for very near the end of cooking. If you start applying it too soon, you end up burning the sugars in the BBQ sauce and rather than a flame charred flavor, it'll be burnt.
To keep it all nice and light, I made the coleslaw with Greek yogurt rather than mayo and in all honesty, I really do prefer it that way. It just keeps the flavor and texture light and fresh. For creaminess, I used avocado on the bottom of the bun, rather than a thick sauce or mustard and the coleslaw replaces the need for melted cheese or another sauce. So, this really is a HEALTHY chicken burger.
Ways to customize this chicken burger
As with any recipe, there are a ton of variables and ways that you can dress this up (or down!).
- Add some cheddar cheese to melt
- Use sweet corn relish instead of avocado
- Make this Mexican by using chipotle sauce
- Add lettuce instead of coleslaw
These are only a few of the ways I thought about adapting these, but let your imagination run wild and happy grilling.
Korean BBQ Grilled Chicken Burgers
- 2 chicken breasts boneless skinless
- 2 burger buns
- 1 avocado mashed with salt pepper and lemon juice
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
For the Korean BBQ sauce
- ¼ Korean hot sauce like Gochujang
- 2 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
For the coleslaw
- 1 cup shredded red cabbage
- 1 ear of corn kernels removed
- 2 medium carrots grated
- ½ cup fat free Greek yogurt
- 2 teaspoon mustard
- juice of 1 lemon
- Preheat the grill.
- Thin out the chicken breasts, so that they are even the whole way through. Brush with some of the olive oil and brush the grill with olive oil. Place the chicken on the grill and cook for about 8 minutes per side. Use a meat thermometer to check for doneness.
- Combine all the ingredients for the BBQ sauce in a bowl and whisk together. Brush the chicken with the sauce during the last 5-10 minutes to avoid burning.
Leave a Reply