This spicy chorizo and fennel pizza is a tribute to the seasons. Deep rich roasted red pepper sauce, spicy chorizo to get that blood flowing and earthy, slightly aniseed-y fennel to bring it all together.
Remember that really useful roasted red pepper sauce from yesterday? Okay. This is where it’s really useful! Well, for this pizza we ditched the boring tomato sauce and we used that roasted pepper sauce to make this pizza amazing. Sometimes we just gotta shake it up, ya know? I’m a fan of alternative pizza toppings as you can tell from this fig and prosciutto pizza.
Not sure about where you live, but over here in the UK there is a HUGE pizza culture popping up and we’re all starting to go high class with our pizza style. Fluffy pizza crusts with crispy bases and all manner of toppings. It’s about modern flavours and rustic appearances. Just how I like it.
When I was growing up, once in a while my Mum would buy us a bake-at-home pizza from the grocery store. It was always the same. Pepperoni, mushrooms and green pepper with that rubber-y style shredded mozzarella on top. Tell you the truth, I still have a soft spot for that kind of pizza. But homemade of course.
These days we go for the perfect homemade pizza crust using this perfect pizza dough recipe, a super quick and simple sauce and soft creamy buffalo mozzarella. Maybe we have a dusting of parmesan cheese on there too! Because anything with extra cheese is just better.
I kept the toppings on this pizza pretty flavourful, but kept them to a minimum. Because sometimes on a weeknight we just gotta keep it fast and light. Now this pizza is truly a simple affair. If you make this part of your meal planning, then you should be able to pull this pizza together in about 10 minutes and it takes about 20 minutes to bake. So, this is truly perfect for a Wednesday night. Brown some chorizo sausage in pan and shave some fennel with a mandolin or slice thinly using a knife.
Use your pizza dough that you’ve had in the freezer and use the really useful red pepper sauce that you made yesterday. And you’re only 25 minutes away from pizza perfection!
Spicy Chorizo And Fennel Pizza
- 2 chorizo sausages casings removed
- 1 fennel bulb shaved or thinly sliced
- 1 ball buffalo mozzarella
- 1/2 cup parmesan
- 2 Tablespoons toasted pine nuts
- 10 basil leaves
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 500 g 1 pound pizza dough
- 125 ml 1/2 cup really useful roasted red pepper sauce
- Pre-heat the oven to 200c or 380f.
- In a small pan on medium heat, brown the chorizo until it’s cooked through. Using a slotted spoon place the chorizo on paper towel to drain away any of the fat.
- Scatter the chorizo over the pizza and layer on the cheeses. Scatter with the pine nuts and a drizzle of olive oil.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for 20 minutes or until the cheese is melted, bubbling and starting to brown and the pizza bases are golden and crispy.
- Makes 8 slices.