These Chicken stuffed peppers are the perfect answer to “what’s for dinner?” They’re spicy, sweet, so healthy, super delicious and ready in about 30 minutes. Just like a traditional fajita with cheese, avocado, rice, and tortilla chips, but baked all together in one perfectly sweet pepper!
Okay. So, here’s my confession.
I’ve never made a stuffed pepper before. I Partly because I’ve always just put the peppers in the dish and partly because of really bad childhood dinners that involved very overcooked bitter stuffed green peppers. But, as a person who just can’t let things go, I’ve been trying to come up with a recipe that makes stuffed peppers kinda cool again.
Were they ever cool? I dunno. But maybe these stuffed peppers can be a little bit cool for a regular weeknight dinner in a hurry.
Chicken Stuffed Peppers Top Tips
- Roast the peppers first for maximum sweetness.
- Add flavor builders like thyme and salt and pepper.
- Cut the peppers in half down the middle rather than just cut the tops off. You can stretch dinner a little further then.
- Skip using green peppers. They’re just a little too bitter for a dish like this.
How to Make Chicken Stuffed Peppers?
These stuffed peppers are made just using a traditional fajita style chicken and onion filling. Of course, there’s rice in there. If you want to make these totally carb free then you can skip the rice, but I’m a fan. Also, feel free to make it brown rice, if that’s your jam. This is the perfect place to add in some ready-made rice for an emergency dinner.
- Roast peppers.
- Sear chicken, onions, garlic with spices and set aside.
- Place rice in the bottom of your roasted pepper.
- Add the spicy chicken onion combo on top and add aaaallll the cheese!
- Bake once more, only really to melt that cheese into golden gooey strings of goodness.
- Serve with tortilla chips and avocado slices.
Chicken Stuffed Pepper Extras
This recipe is all about getting a delicious and nutritious dinner on the table with as quick as possible. But, there are so many extras that we can add into this dinner.
- Black beans
- Sweet corn
- Cherry tomatoes
- Sour cream
However you decide to make these chicken stuffed peppers, just know that we’ve moved out of the realms of crummy weeknight dinner into delicious and modern comfort with this recipe.
May the force of spicy, sweet, healthy and, delicious weeknight dinners be with you!
THANKS SO MUCH FOR READING AND COOKING ALONG WITH ME! IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE OR HAVE A QUESTION, I’D LOVE IT IF YOU LEFT A COMMENT AND A RATING. YOU CAN ALSO FOLLOW ALONG ON PINTEREST, FACEBOOK AND INSTAGRAM TO SEE WHAT WE’RE EATING, PINNING AND A LITTLE BEHIND THE SCENES TOO!
Mexican Chicken Stuffed Peppers
- 1/2 Tablespoon chilli powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 cloves garlic minced or grated on a microplane
- sea salt and pepper
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 red onion thinly sliced
- 2 chicken breasts cut into thin strips
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 3 peppers cut in half
- 1/2 bunch cilantro chopped
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar
- 1 avocado thinly sliced
- tortilla chips
- cherry tomatoes
- Preheat the oven to 400F. Drizzle the peppers with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast until the edges are starting to char.
- Meanwhile in a large sauté pan with straight sides, heat some olive oil and brown the chicken on both sides for about 5 minutes. Add the onion, garlic and spices to the pan with a 1/4 cup of water and continue sautéing until the chicken is cooked.
- Remove the peppers from the oven and fill halfway with the cooked rice. Top with the chicken fajita mix and layer with cheese.
- Place back in the oven and roast until the cheese is melted. Serve with avocados and tortilla chips.