425 calories | 13 smart points
Okay. Hi! We have so much to talk about right now! These prawn and avocado tostadas may be one of my favourite things I've made in a while. Firstly, they are gorgeous to look at and they definitely make me feel like spring is coming. Secondly, I've saved us so many calories on these!!!!!!
Now, hear me out about these. I kinda did an Indian/ Asian fusion thing here. Sometimes know as confusion cooking. But, before you roll your eyes about authentic blah, blah, blah, just hold up. Instead of a corn tortilla, I used garlic and coriander popadoms!!!!!! This idea has made me feel like a genius. This saves on calories and gluten. Popadoms are made with gram flour from chickpeas, so they're high in protein and totally gluten free.
The best part of all this is that it comes together in about 15 minutes. The only thing you need to cook are the prawns. If you've got shellfish allergy or don't like seafood then chicken would work really well too. To sauté the prawns you literally need a drop of oil and a non stick skillet. I prefer a non stick because obviously it means that you have to use less oil = less calories = more food! See how I did that?
Everything else is just veggie goodness. Those little baby heritage tomatoes were too cute to not bring home, but if all you can find are red cherry tomatoes then fine. Go for it. Or heck, you don't even need baby or cherry tomatoes. Chopping regular toms will be just as delicious. And since we're all about eating seasonal around here, I've just used sweetcorn from a tin, rather than buy cobs from a million miles away.
So there you have it. A fix of spring with prawn and avocado tostadas that's perfect for, well, anytime, really!
Fiery Prawn and Avocado Tostadas
- 2 garlic and coriander (cilantrpopadoms
- 1 avocado
- 2 lime juice
- 1 small red chilli
- 1 red onion finely diced
- 1 small red chilli finely chopped
- 200 g cherry tomatoes
- ½ 400 g tin black beans gently warmed
- ½ 200 g tin sweet corn gently warmed
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 10 jumbo prawns
- ½ bunch coriander (cilantrchopped
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Make the guacamole by placing the avocado flesh in a bowl and adding the juice of one lime, half the diced red onion, half the chopped chilli and season with salt and pepper. Mix with a fork to crush into a chunky mix.
- To make the salsa, cut the tomatoes in half if using cherry tomatoes. If using large tomatoes, dice them up.
- Place in a bowl and season with salt and pepper.
- Add the chopped coriander and the red onion.
- Add lime juice to taste.
- Heat a non stick skillet on medium heat and gently warm the black beans. Set aside in a bowl. Now warm the sweet corn in the pan and set aside in a bowl.
- Add the olive oil and increase the heat to medium high.
- Add the garlic to the pan and let cook for a few seconds.
- Saute the prawns in the garlic and add the remaining chillies. Cook for about 3 minutes, or until the prawns have turned pink and are cooked through.
- Layer the guacamole on to the popadoms.
- Top with the sweet corn and black beans and then the prawns. Top with the hand cut salsa.
Helen at the Lazy Gastronome says
This looks so good! Thanks for sharing on our Taco Tuesday link up!