This Thai yellow curry sweet potato soup is a quick and simple soup that's high on flavour and low on fat. Made with homemade Thai yellow curry paste, this low fat soup is the perfect fast and simple weeknight recipe.
Do you remember that those 3 homemade Thai curry pastes we made last week? You know, the Thai yellow,red and green curry pastes that we whipped up in 20 minutes and left in the freezer? It's time to grab that yellow curry paste and a can of coconut milk and make some magic.
How do you use Thai yellow curry paste?
This is the super simple bit. Because we loaded our home made version of Thai yellow curry paste with all the aromatics like ginger, garlic and kaffir lime leaves, we don't need to add anything else to this curry paste to make the flavours sing. For this cosy soup to happen in 15 minutes all we need to do is sauté some shallots, garlic and ginger. Add the stock and some sweet potatoes. We pour in that creamy silky coconut milk once those sweet potatoes are cooked. And done!
How to make Thai yellow curry sweet potato soup step-by-step:
I've listed out the step by step photos here even though it's super quick and simple, because if you've not worked with curry paste much before you may now really know what you're looking for, or how it's supposed to look. Thai yellow curry paste can look a little ugly during the coming together stage.
Step 1 & 2- Gently fry some shallot and garlic.
Add the Thai yellow curry paste and cook gently for about 2 minutes.
Step 3 & 4
Add some vegetable or chicken broth and add the sweet potato. Simmer until the potatoes are cooked.
Add the coconut milk and bring to the boil.
After that just add in some kale or spinach and some thin slices of red bell pepper. Cosy soup domination is yours!
What can you serve with Thai yellow curry?
With Thai curries there's a lot of freedom in the pairing of them. They pack such a flavour punch that it's best to put them with foods that are flavour carriers. Things like rice and noodles.
In this case the sweet potato helps to temper the heat and the spice in the yellow Thai curry paste. If you'd like to know more about the differences then you can read more about that here. If you're looking for more Thai curry recipes you can check out this Thai red curry bowl and this Thai yellow curry with rice.
If you need more simple nourishing recipes in your life then stay in touch on Instagram and Pinterest and leave me a comment and rate the recipe. Let me know if this IS the cosiest soup you've ever eaten!
Thai Yellow Curry Sweet Potato Soup
- ¼ cup homemade Thai yellow curry paste
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 shallot sliced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 thumb size piece of ginger
- 2 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 2 small sweet potatoes diced into 1 inch cubes
- 1 tin full fat coconut milk
- 2 cups kale kale or spinach
- 1 red bell pepper cut into thin strips 1 inch long
- 3 Tablespoons cilantro chopped (for garnish)
- Heat the oil in a medium sauce pan over a medium heat and gently saute the garlic, ginger and shallot. Add the Thai yellow curry paste to the pan and cook for a further 2 minutes. Add the broth and potatoes and bring to a boil. Turn the heat down to a simmer and cook the potatoes uncovered for about 8 minutes or until tender.
- Add the coconut milk to the pan and bring to a gentle simmer to heat through. Turn the heat off and add the kale and red pepper. Set the pan aside for 5 minutes to allow the kale to wilt and the pepper to soften.
- Pour into bowls and serve with cilantro for garnish.
Mary Ann | The Beach House Kitchen says
Love flavorful bowls like this Debs. Anything curry and you can count me in. Such a great hearty, winter warm up!
Thanks so much Mare! Perfect winter warm up indeed!